Sunday, January 5, 2014

Here we go…

Day 1 of the “real food challenge”.  If you go to 100daysofrealfood.com and look at the “real food rules” we will be adhering to all but one of the real food rules.  We will be allowing sugar, in small-ish quantities.  Many of the recipes I use have real sugar in them, such as my homemade bread, pancakes, etc.  I think the only way my family will survive this is if they can snack on baked goods.  I have amped up the baked goods with all whole-wheat flour, so I am going to call that good enough.  Plus, I wonder if Ed doesn’t have an intolerance to honey (an acceptable sweetener), since many things I have made in the past with honey have been upsetting to his stomach.

The cabinets and fridge have all been cleaned out, and most “unacceptable” foods have been removed.  I did leave crackers, taco shells, and anything in the freezer, for now, since there isn’t much to snack on.  But that may go as well.  I also left the ketchup (even though it is not allowed) and salad dressing because I am not planning to make anything that requires those condiments. 

I failed to mention in any of my previous posts my biggest challenge in all of this…In support of Ed needing to give up his Diet Mt. Dew, which he “needs” in the mornings to get himself going, I have agreed to give up coffee Sad smile.  Coffee is acceptable, as long as it is black (I suppose you could put milk in it).  I have been drinking my coffee black for the past few weeks because the creamer is nothing but a science experiment and it doesn’t give me pleasure anymore (which would make the chemical consumption worth it.  I decided that misery usually loves company, and since this whole real food thing won’t be too hard for me to integrate, that is the least I can do.

But, geez…no coffee?!?!  I have been cutting back on my coffee to about 1/2 of what I would normally drink over the past few days, but so far, this morning, I am feeling a little fuzzy.  I have eaten a whole-wheat blueberry muffin and 1/2 glass of milk.  It’s just not cutting it yet.

I did go and spend another $30 in groceries on Friday.  I bought 10 lbs of whole-wheat flour, because I realized after I am done baking today, I would be just about out.  I also bought another bottle of very expensive 100% maple syrup.  I already told the kids I might flip my lid if I see puddles of syrup on their plates…man that stuff is spendy!  I also bought one more jar of natural peanut butter.  I am going to make another double-batch of whole-wheat pancakes (I only have 12 of them in the freezer) to increase my supply of frozen pancakes for school mornings).  I am also planning to bake some bread today.  I baked a batch of peanut butter cookies (with natural peanut butter and whole-wheat flour), and the kids loved them, so I may be making another batch of those as well.  I am just not sure how much we will eat in a week of fruits, nuts, muffins, pancakes, etc.  Now that all cereals and snack foods are out of the house, we could go through these other foods very quickly.  So I wanted to be prepared just in case I need to whip something up.

I think that’s all for now…here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: