Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014: to our health

Over the past several years, I have taken increasing interest in developing a healthier lifestyle.  At over 200 lbs at one point in time, I was out of shape, out of energy, irritable, depressed, etc.  I started taking control in 2009 with a gym membership at SNAP fitness, and since that time I lost almost 40 lbs.  I began embracing exercise as a regular and important part of my life, and began to be more aware of what I was putting in my body and how it made me feel.  At my peak, I was on a roll…unstoppable.  However, I have slid backwards over the past 6 months or so.  Packed on almost 10 lbs, and have been struggling once again with mustering up the energy to exercise, even though I am keenly aware of the many (and believe me, many, many, many) physical and mental benefits of regular exercise.

I have also taken my hands off the wheel as far as my eating, although there are certain things I just can’t do anymore, like drink pop more than once a day, or eat highly processed food.  My gut feels so yucky that I think I may have developed a “forever-aversion” to some of those foods.

Over these past 4.5 years, I think I have done a better job of putting healthier foods on the table and in the pantry for the sake of my family.  However, I know that I could do better.  I have heard the advice many times before about reading labels… “If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it”.  But I have finally taken heed.  I was amazed that the “whole grain white bread” I was buying for the kids was full of sugar, corn syrup, etc.  Not to mention the many other foods I serve on a regular basis.

I am fortunate in the regard that we are a pretty healthy family.  So I know I don’t NEED to make changes.  However, I see little things, like Lilly’s skin rash that won’t go away, irritability, moodiness, poor attention span, low activity level, a few (or more) pounds that shouldn’t be there.  I see these things in each of the members of my family.  And I know we can be better.  I know we can do better. 

I have also heard, many times, “let food be your medicine”, and I have a personal desire to stay off of prescription medications for as long as possible (I have a goal of age 70, but who knows how realistic that may be).  So, I started doing a little internet research.

I am already doing better than some people in that I make our family meals most nights of the week.  And I usually make these meals from scratch, with only a few “processed” foods added, like cream soups, pasta, etc.  But, again, I see there is more that I could do.  I could make small changes, small substitutions.  I could spend a little more time in the kitchen on the weekends preparing foods for the upcoming week, so I don’t have to spend any extra precious time in the kitchen during the busy weeknights.  And I began to wonder…could these little changes make a difference for our family?  Could these little changes set me on the path I need to be on, once again.  Will I see improvements in those little things I mentioned above in my husband and kids?

I decided that it might be worth a shot.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?  And it might cost me a little more money (buying whole foods, produce, and organic items) and it will certainly cost me time.  But-the tradeoff could be worth it. 

As far as the money goes, it may cost less, too.  I will not be buying any cereal, chips, snack foods, and neither Ed or I will be eating out for lunches. 

So, we have all decided to commit to a 12-day “whole food challenge”.  We will eat only foods made from scratch.  I will follow many of the “real food rules” found on 100daysofrealfood.com.  The only difference is that I will still use sugar in my foods instead of honey or 100% maple syrup.  I think I would have a full-scale revolt on my hands if I don’t.  But there will be no pop, no snacks, other than homemade snacks, fruit, nuts, etc.

The menu planning alone took me over 2 hours.  2 hours to come up with 12 days of meals and snacks and a corresponding shopping list!  I hope that that time will pay off with less time at the grocery store and less overall time in the kitchen.  We are starting our challenge on Sunday.  I plan to update this blog as we go on with information such as how much I spent at the store, how much we ate, and I plan to take an inventory each evening of how I feel and how I have observed everyone else to feel.

I hope, in the long run, that we will collectively adopt many of the lifestyle changes, but I do not have expectations that we will adhere tightly to these “real food rules” for now and forever.  But I hope it is a lesson for my kids to connect how they feel with what they eat, to see that there are better choices out there.  And I hope that Ed and I will reap the benefits of feeling better, more energized, and happier.

Wish us luck…I think we are going to need it in a few days as we are coming off of our sugar and white flour addiction!

No comments: